The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, May 21, 2004

I Didn't Say That... My Speechwriters Did 

I read this a while ago... but recently saw someone else link to it, and I ended up re-reading it again for a laugh. Well it would be funny if it didn't show a Senator being such a moron. That Senator of course being John Kerry.

Its an article from the Sun Times entitled
Kerry's just parroting his speechwriters:

Senator Flippy has now decided this line is nonoperative. As he told the chaps at the Journal, ''You know, I called a couple of times to overzealous speechwriters and said 'Look, that's not what I'm saying.' Benedict Arnold does not refer to somebody who in the normal course of business is going to go overseas and take jobs overseas. That happens. I support that. I understand that. I was referring to the people who take advantage of noneconomic transactions purely for tax purposes -- sham transactions -- and give up American citizenship. That's a Benedict Arnold. You give up your American citizenship but you want to continue to do business.''

Got that? When Kerry talks about ''any Benedict Arnold CEO or corporation that takes American jobs overseas,'' he's not referring to someone who ''takes jobs overseas.'' Perish the thought! He's all in favor of taking jobs overseas. It wasn't him who attacked all those ''Benedict Arnold CEOs,'' just his ''overzealous speechwriters.'' And the minute he discovered it was going on, he called them to say, ''Look, that's not what I'm saying.''

I mean, OK, it was what he was saying in the narrow technical sense of words emerging from between his lips, day after day, night after night, all through primary season. I had a quick rummage through the Nexis database, and found a mere 746 citations for Kerry and the expression ''Benedict Arnold.'' I myself have personally been present on three occasions when he attacked ''Benedict Arnold CEOs'' who ''take jobs overseas,'' and on two of them he didn't have a TelePrompTer or even a script. He just stood in front of us and the words came out of his mouth, almost as if they were what he himself believed.


In fact this morning I was paging through George W. Bush's Campaign Blog and saw them using a new word (at least I haven't heard it before). Now I know GW is famous for inventing words, but I really like this one. The word of the day is foragainst, and I'll use it in a sentence. John Kerry is foragainst abortion, foragainst the war, and foragainst outsourcing. I think that sums it up quite nicely. I don't agree with Bush on everything... but at least I know exactly where he stands with everything... and that is what's most important.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Programming in the Green
Destroying Elegant... no... Beautiful Code
Did You Know?
Low Priority
What a Way to Start a Morning
Kerry MIA Again
Blogger Update
Being Unemployed in the Summer
It Can't Make Toast... But It Can Order Pizza
Hard to Manage a Server

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar