The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, November 14, 2005

Have I Become One of Those Beer Drinkers? 

Friday night I went out with some former colleagues of mine to a Milwaukee Admirals game. It's been a while since I'd joined that group for anything, and I haven't seen a hockey game in a while, so it was fun. I also realized... it's been a while since I've had a macro-brew beer. When I buy beer, it's usually Leinie's Red, or Killian's Red. I enjoy both very much. I like red beers a lot, and I also enjoy even darker beers. It wasn't until I was at the Bradley Center that I realized how much I enjoyed them. One of the group decided to buy a round at the Bradley Center (which is of course ridiculously overpriced), and came back with bottles of MGD. Back before my micro-brew snobbery began... MGD was my beer of choice.

I honestly couldn't finish it. It was a bit skunky... and oh so bitter. Was it just this bottle? Was the Bradley Center stocking up on old out of date beer, and trying to pass it off to hockey fans who are seemingly willing to drink anything? Was there something wrong with me? Was I actually only able to drink half a beer before deciding enough was enough? Did I just throw away beer?! Hell... in college I used to drink Milwaukee's Best! You know... the cheapest, crappiest beer around. Cheap being the operative word of course.

After the game we went back to the bar, and someone was coming around giving away promotional bottles of Budweiser Select to try. Now normally, I'd never drink anything that was pasteurized through a Clydesdale... but it's also rare for me to pass up a free beer. I managed to down one gulp. Enough was enough.

Could it be? Have I turned into a beer snob? Is there something inherently wrong with that? Or does it simply mean I've matured in my beer drinking to the point where I now know what good beer is, and what bad beer is?

Comments:

You're a beer snob. Next thing you know, you'll be asking your local package store to import your hefeweizen from Germany along with the proper glasses.

  Posted at November 14, 2005 2:08 PM by Blogger Be  
Beer should taste like beer.

  Posted at November 14, 2005 8:33 PM by Blogger Aaron  
Heineken (from Holland)is not that good. You heard of it? I think Americans are not spoilt with good beer. why don't you have your own? You're such a big country.

  Posted at November 23, 2005 7:41 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
You're not a snob, you've just matured beyond the dirty water that most of us Americans call beer.

But when you find a package store who will import some hefe let me know, I've still got lots of the glasses.

  Posted at December 07, 2005 8:37 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
How Did I Miss This Blog?
Sony May Have Made a Mistake, But It's Not a Terro...
Am I Moving Up in the World?
New Carnival of the Badger
In Defense of Big Oil
Don't Drink the Orange Water
Abortion Common Sense?
Aruba Asks Citizens to Avoid Alabama
Poetry in Pictures
Required Reading

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar