The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pork Anyone? 

The Journal has a regularly featured column every week called Road Warrior. Larry Sandler answers questions from people about construction and traffic issues, and also highlights interesting news and upcoming projects. It's actually a pretty useful column, and is written to be pretty fun. Recently he wrote about new bike lanes that are being painted on many local streets:

Q. I noticed what appear to be new bike lanes on Oakland Ave. from Shorewood to about Locust St. However, these new side lanes aren't labeled or very continuous. Could you tell me what the plan is?

A. The plan is to finish those lanes - which weren't competed last week - as part of the biggest expansion of bicycle lanes in Milwaukee history, says Mike Loughran, chief planning and development engineer for the city Department of Public Works.

By the end of this summer, the city will have added 25 miles of bike lanes, more than doubling the 15 miles previously in place, Loughran said.

Most of that expansion, 23 miles, is included in a $100,000 project that is 80% funded by the federal government, guided by recommendations developed by the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin, he said.

Hold on there skippy. $80,000 from the federal government for lines on local streets? Are you kidding me? This is why I get pissed at guys like Sensenbrenner. This is the sort of pork that doesn't belong in highway bills. I know that it benefits me... but I don't care. If the city wanted more bike lanes, let the city pay for it. Some guy in Montanna doesn't need to help fun lines on streets in Milwaukee.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Fisking Eugene Kane
Driving a Survey
Triathlon Update
The Gym Class Myth
Politically Correct Incorrectness
Get Out Your Binoculars
Search Words
Whoops
Where Do We Get Our News Now?
Light Blogging Today

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar