The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, June 06, 2005

Looking for Bright Spots 

I competed in the Lake Mills Triathlon yesterday... and despite a couple of showers, still have the remnants of my race number and wave number written on me. My results are here if you're interested. I did about 3 minutes last worse than last year's which has me pissed off. I've been going over the race in my head, and looking at the splits to see where I went wrong, and of course it's plainly obvious now.

The Swim: I can't put off serious swim training any more. This was my worse swim leg ever, and I don't think I can simply blame it on cold water this time. In fact, I built up the cold water so much in my mind before the race, that when I got in, it wasn't that bad. I was cut off by at least 3 people which broke my pace, but I could have done a lot better. This has also convinced me that I need to put off doing an olympic distance race until I've trained more here.

The Bike: I lost about 4 minutes here... which was purely due to my lack of effort now that I look back on it. I really didn't kick it into gear until the back third... and I should have done a lot better.

The Run: This was one of the bright spots. I had a very strong run. It's not so much reflected in my time (although it's one of my best)... it's more in how I felt during. I just felt really good during the run. With that said, had I put in more effort in the bike, my run could have been weaker. That's part of the give and take that occurs during a multisport event.

Transitions: My transition times were the best I ever had which surprised me a little. They had setup the transition area a lot differently this time, and I didn't take any time before the race to walk it through. However, I somehow managed to have a smooth, mistake free transition.

I learned a lot of things this race, and hopefully I can use that during my next race to really kick out a good time. I'll post pictures when I see some.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
The Overblown Epidemic
What the Run Away Bride Should Have Done
No Thoughts Nick?
On Drivers Who Don't Speak English
And They're Our Ally Huh?
Programming Notes
Why Not Go a Step Further?
Shrinkage
Me and Sarah
Rockin

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar