The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, June 27, 2005

I Hate to Break it To You 

But it's not that amazing. That's what I have to constantly keep from telling my sister Janet. She flew in on Saturday with her 9 month old son Brandon for a visit. I've since been regaled with all sorts of stories of the amazing things that he has recently learned to do all by himself:
  • Climb out of his high chair. He's like Houdini!

  • Roll a toy car on the floor instead of just picking it up. I wonder when he'll start saying "Vroom vroom".

  • Move a small piece of cereal from one hand to another. Apparently this is some sort of developmental accomplishment.
Now don't get me wrong. She has every reason to be proud of her child, and be excited with his development. That's what all parents do. It's the vigor and excitement with which she tells the tales that gets me... as if her child is the only one to have ever done these things. I just want to look at her and say, "Janet... every kid does these things. Get over it."

I'm reminded of a stand up routine... though I can't for the life of me remember who's it was. The comedian was complaining that parents often attribute small accomplishments that their child makes with what they'll be when he grows up. For instance, "Look, Johnny is playing with that toy car. He's going to grow up to be a race car driver. Look, Johnny is running! He's going to be in the Olympics!" to which the comedian said, "He's also drooling, maybe he'll be in the Special Olympics."

I know... I'm a terrible uncle.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
A Monday Morning Rant
Did You See That?
The Burden of Proof is Shifting
Sigh... And He's My Congressman
Pussy Powered Carnival
Son of a Bitch!
I Love Studies
Starbucks vs. Food Stamps
What is a RINO Anyway?
Click Now!

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar