The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, January 21, 2005

That's What Checklists are For 

This is embarrassing:

David Atkinson spent 18 years designing an experiment for the unmanned space mission to Saturn. Now some pieces of it are lost in space. Someone forgot to turn on the instrument Atkinson needed to measure the winds on Saturn's largest moon.

"The story is actually fairly gruesome," the University of Idaho scientist said in an e-mail from Germany, the headquarters of the European Space Agency. "It was human error - the command to turn the instrument on was forgotten."
...
"In total, the core of our team has invested something like 80 man years on this experiment, 18 of which are mine," Atkinson wrote. "I think right now the key lesson is this - if you're looking for a job with instant and guaranteed success, this isn't it."

This is the sort of thing that leads normal people to go into a building with automatic weapons and start shooting. The closest thing like this that has ever happened to me was when a software project I worked on at Rockwell was never released, after it was written and tested. The reasons are complicated, and had to do with a lot of things I had no control over, but it was still 10 months worth of work (for which I won an award) that never saw the light of day. And I thought that was frustrating.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
No Wonder School Grades are Declining
Random Musings from a Car Dealership
For Those Who Like Bumper Stickers
Speaking of Poor Children
I Should Hope So
Now That's What I Call Relaxed
I'm an Addict
Mayor Daily in Milwaukee
I Hate Spammers Too
Blog Rolling

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar