The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The Zen of Contracting 

Contracting can be great. The paid overtime is always nice. Of course, I often times get the crap programming tasks that others don't want to deal with. All the regular employees here at my company have to wear these ugly blue polyester uniforms with their name sewn on (seriously, no joking). Contractor don't. It's actually find the whole situation kind of interesting. I think some of the employees feel sorry for me. They think I feel left out because I don't have to dress like an auto mechanic. I love it. Picking out what I'm going to wear is really the first choice I get to make in the morning, and I relish in the ability. I feel sorry for the poor saps in blue.

There are other issues. I have to worry about insuring myself, but that's really no huge thing. I tend to be kept out of the loop a lot more, and don't get invited to a lot of company type events. Then there are times like this. There is a company wide meeting going on right now. The poor employees have to sit through boring talks for about 3 hours, including long drawn out financials. Contractors not allowed. Fine by me. It's amazing how much work I get done during these times. There is a real sense of peace as I look over the cube walls to see absolutely no one.

The Zen of Contracting.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Everyone Needs a Fallback
The Positives of Negative?
Not Supporting Something You Hate
Fortune Cookie?
Dangerous Words
Geeks, Interests, and Toys
Book Review: The Mythical Man Month
How Microsoft Lost the API War
The Wonders of VI
WTF?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar