The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Culinary Reminiscing 

There's nothing like having really bad enchiladas from a cafeteria to make you think about what real Mexican food tastes like. Living in California, if nothing else, spoiled me on good Mexican food. I never eat at Taco Bell, and I rarely eat at Qdoba, though I do prefer Qdoba to Taco Bell if I have to make a choice. For those of you who think that there is no such thing as authentic Mexican fast food, I encourage you to go to Super Cuca's in Santa Barbara if you're ever in the area. They've been voted best in the county I don't know how many years in a row, and deserve every accolade.

Of course, thinking of Super Cuca's instantly reminded me of another Santa Barbara staple... The Monkey Flip. Unfortunately, I just found out from my sister Sarah, that Kysers, the natural food store that made them, went out of business. Kysers had a health food bar in their store where they made, among other things, protein shakes. The Monkey Flip had their protein shake powder, a banana, chocolate syrup, chunky peanut butter, and a couple scoops of ice cream all blended together. It was heaven in a glass. I did go searching around Google, and found this recipe for something similar by the same name:

1 medium banana
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 cups skim milk
2-3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
6-9 ice cubes

First blend all other ingredients in blender until smooth then add ice cubes. Grind to blended milk shake stage.

The recipe I know of looks more like this:

1 medium banana
1 healthy squirt of Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 cup milk
1 scoop crunchy peanut butter (same scoop size as for the ice cream)
2-3 scoops vanilla ice cream

First blend all other ingredients in blender until smooth then add ice cream. Frappe until smooth.

The version I found is probably a little healthier than the one I know of, so pick the one that goes better for your lifestyle. Enjoy.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't
It's That Time of Year Again
Quick!
It's Not Your Fault
Random Facts About Me
Blog Rolling
I Like Getting Email
I'd Never Listen to The Brew
Does "White Privilege" Exist?
Privilege?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar