The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, March 13, 2006

Controversial Topic of the Day 

In an effort to be more controversial, I thought I'd add the following to the discussion on male/female stereotypes.

I was at the grocery store on Saturday, and while waiting to check out, I scanned through the various magazines that had different anorexic women staring back at me. Each of them had the usual array of article teasers on the cover, many of them having to do with how to satisfy your man, find the right man, change the man you have, etc. Then there were the other articles on topics like, "How to Become Anorexic in 10 Easy Steps" and "5 Ways to Get the Vomit Taste Out of Your Mouth After Purging What You Just Ate". Believe it or not, I haven't gotten to the controversial part yet.

It suddenly hit me. Here we have all these magazines by women, giving advice to other women on men. Granted there are "Men's Health" type magazines, but the range of topics doesn't seem to be nearly as large, and they aren't relied upon nearly as much. Not only that, but I get the distinct impression that women seem to be much more likely to only talk to other women about their relationship problems. Many men tend to have at least one female friend who they talk to when they want real advice about women. This raises an interesting question.

Do women really know more about men, than men know about women? Or are men smarter about who they go to for advice than women?

Discuss.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Critics Are Everywhere
Subliminal Advertising?
Bureaucratic Rules Strike Again
It'll Either Kill You... or Save You
Simple and To The Point
Because as We All Know... The Terrorist's Favorite...
Programming Note
Once Upon a Time
This Posting Occurred Between 0900 and 1000 Hours
Do They Get to Carry Guns Too?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar