The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, October 10, 2005

Call Me Tater Salad 

As soon as I heard about this news from Texas...

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission is saturating bars in the Abilene and San Angelo areas to arrest people for public intoxication, and bar or nightclub employees who sell alcohol to drunken customers.

The TABC campaign will continue through September 2006, said Lt. Randy Motz said. ''If we don't arrest a bunch of people, then that's fine. But we will do what we can to get them before they get in their car intoxicated.''
...
''And those that serve them should be responsible. A lot of people think it's OK to be drunk in bar, but it's illegal. A bar is not intended to be a place to get fall-down drunk ... . You don't have to be fall-down drunk to be considered drunk. Even after one drink, you aren't 100 percent.''

I kept thinking about this routine from Ron White:

They hurled me out of that bar. And then they squared off with me in the parking lot, and I backed down from the fight, cause I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information, right there.

The police got called because we broke a chair on the way out, and I refused to pay for it. I refused to pay for it cause *we* broke it over *my* thigh. And at that point, I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability. The cop was like, 'Mr. White, you are being charged with drunk in public-KA!' I was like, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I was drunk in a bar! They, threw me into public-KA! I don't want to be drunk in public! I wanna be drunk in a bar, which is perfectly legal...arrest them!"

H/T to The Agitator. So apparently now you'll be arrested in a bar just in case you might, possibly, potentially get in a car and drive home drunk. Who knew Texas was at the cutting edge of prosecuting pre-crime.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Consulting vs. Permanent
Needs More Cowbell
An Enigma Wrapped in a Mystery
Conspiracy Theory For the Day
Reader Mail
What Was The Point In That?
Who Would Type That?
The Carnival Is On
The President is a Porker
Bill O'Reilly Is Afraid Of Me?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar