The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, October 03, 2005

Better Than I Expected 

It was a nice way to end up my season I think. Yesterday morning I competed in my last race for the year... the Green Bay Duathlon. It was a 3.1 mile run, then a 32.5 mile bike leg, followed by a 1.3 mile run. I've never done a duathlon before (only triathlons previously), and the bike leg was twice as long as any bike leg I've done previously... so I had no idea how I would do. I figured I would finish in 2 hours and 30 minutes, based on my previous times in other races, and the fact that the course was longer. Boy was I surprised when I finished.

As I said before, I've never done a duathlon before. It was actually very different to do the long run first... when I was fresh, and not suffering through the bricks. Of course I had to be mindful that any energy I spend on the run, I wouldn't have for the bike (or the later run for that matter). I tried to pace myself as best as I could. The first mile I did in 7:30... and so I slowed up just a little bit, and overall had a 25 minute 5k, which is just about where I wanted it.

Transitions were also a breeze with much less to think about. I actually carried my bike gloves in the back of my jersey during the run and put them on before I came into transition, which saved me one thing to do. After that, it was just a shoe change, toss on the helmet and go.

The bike leg was obviously the most challenging part, but I really surprised myself here. I got into a great pace, and kept it through the whole thing. Once again, I tried to make sure that I didn't put in a ton of effort in the beginning, only to blow up in the end. I was actually surprised as I looked down at my bike computer to see the pace I had been keeping, and was worried at the halfway point that I would blow up. But my legs kept going strong, and I maintained a faster pace then I thought I would. I carried plenty of gel packets with me, and downed two during the bike leg which helped. There were some climbs in this race, but nothing compared to Devil's Challenge. Still... I always did the passing on the climbs, and never was passed. I really think my higher cadence biking style paid off. Overall I finished the bike leg in 1:40:58, which means I averaged about 19.3 mph. This is actually about what I average during a sprint triathlon, which I find very encouraging. I always knew I had more endurance then sprinting ability, and this really hammered that point home for me.

The last run was pretty hard. It was only 1.3 miles... but after a 32.5 mile bike leg... I felt like I was in the bricks for the majority of the run. It didn't help that the start of the last run leg went up a hill on the south side of Lambeau either. I probably paid for my biking pace here, finishing the last leg in just under 11 minutes... but I think it was worth doing better on the bike rather then saving it for such a short run.

Overall, I finished with a final time of 2:18:53... and a lot of confidence to take me into next year with some longer races, knowing that at least on the bike I can really hold my own. You can find the full results here (in PDF format). I'll post pictures when I get them.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
It's That Time of the Year Again
Consumer's Revenge
Porkbusting Update
Kudos
More Geeky Blogging
This Is Not From The Onion Pt. II
More Good News
Only Two Things Scare Me
ScrappleFace... Enough Said
Carnival of the Badger Reminder

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar