The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, January 17, 2005

You Don't Know Squat 

Alexandra Samuel has repsonded to her critics regarding the post which I mentioned earlier. Among other things she says:

And second, let me agree with all those who pointed out that political science is not a "real" science. I am always available for a long diatribe on this subject myself, and will happily sign on for a campaign to rename it political studies. My original post was aimed as much at deflating the significance of my own Ph.D. as at deflating Dr. Rice’s.

Well, at least she has that much straight. She also explains how her earlier post was really meant to be "tongue in cheek", and not a call for suspension of any free speech rights. However, I think she just doesn't get it. We're not talking about free speech here, or at least I wasn't. We're talking about advancement in your field. The only way to advance your field of study, whatever it is, is to question what you now believe, to see if it still is true. A PhD does not mean that you've learned everything there is to know in your field of study. It means that you are now truly qualified to realize that you don't know enough, or put another way:

If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?

- Thomas Henry Huxley

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Pajama Blogging
Fornicator!
Now That's Cool
I Own That
Blog Rolling
The Nerd Quotient
You Are the Weakest Link
Reward Offered
What Time Is It?
When It Rains it Pours

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar