The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, September 02, 2004

Don't People Keep Plywood? 

I've never lived in a hurricane prone area, so I guess I really don't know what it's like. But it seems that every year when this sort of thing happens, you hear the same story (via JSOnline):

Supermarkets along Florida's Atlantic coast were stripped of bottled water and canned goods. In the pre-dawn hours Thursday, long lines formed outside home supply stores in Palm Beach County, with dozens of people hoping for a chance to buy plywood or generators. A delivery truck's arrival was met with raucous applause.

Ok, the food and water thing I get... but plywood? After the last hurricane hit, what did you do with all that plywood? Did you throw it away? Personally I'd take it down from the windows, write on them with a big marker which window each one was cut for, then put it in a stack leaning against a wall in the garage. Living in Wisconsin for 14 years now, and having had to change out old storm windows, that's how we handled it. We figured out which ones fit which windows, then wrote on the bottom so we wouldn't have to figure it out the next year. But then... I'm an Engineer... so this thinking should be no surprise to anyone. Am I missing something here? Is there a reason that it seems nobody saves the plywood between hurricanes? Anyone from Florida actually read my blog?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
So shines a good deed in a weary world
No - You're Kidding Me
Save the Gonads!
Unintended Consequences
Poor Guy
The Character Debate
Random Stuff
What If I Sit On Her?
Now I've Got a Headache
Oh My God - Cringe

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar