The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, July 02, 2004

The Gift of Time 

When working on a project as a contractor, you often times find yourself getting stuck with the bugs that nobody else wants to fix. It's not because they are terribly hard, but because they are annoying, or vague, or otherwise undesirable. The trick is to save them all for Friday, and here is why.

What you find is that the person originally assinged the bug found it so annoying, or vague, or maybe even difficult, that they assigned it some grossly out of the ballpark time estimate in the defect tracking program. The fun comes when you get the bug, and you have that many hours to fix it. Of course I could go in and adjust that amount of time, but the problem is that I don't know how long it will actually take. This project I'm working on right now is huge, and I'm being given bugs from every corner of the code. Most of the code I've never even looked at before. So I really have no clue how long it will take to fix. What I have found out in the last two days, however, is that every bug I've gotten so far is assigned as a four hour task. And so far they've all taken from 15 minutes to 1 hour to fix.

It's like being given the gift of time. So pick the low hanging fruit on Friday and let the juices run down your chin.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Take Your Own Advice Chirac
Flyswatter or Sledge Hammer?
Caving Into Threats In Cedarburg
Random Quotes
Squirrels Are Michael Moore Fans
God Bless You
It's 2005 in 2004
Is That a Snake Between Your Legs?
Who's Worse?
If Its Below a 5, It's Really Not News

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar