The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, February 27, 2004

Why Isn't Anyone Asking Her to Resign? 

If I had done this... I'm sure every minority group in the country would be demanding my immediate resignation. I'm sure her "apology" will be considered just fine in this case however. More hypocracy in action.

Rep. Brown Apologizes for 'White Men' Comment

She said Republican leaders were "racist" in their policies toward the Caribbean nation, which is almost entirely black, and called the president's representatives "a bunch of white men."

"I sincerely did not mean to offend Secretary Noriega or anyone in the room. Rather, my comments, as they relate to 'white men,' were aimed at the policies of the Bush administration as they pertain to Haiti, which I do consider to be racist," Brown said in a statement on Thursday.
...
After the dressing down, which sent a hush over the hour-long meeting, Noriega responded that he would relay her comments to Secretary of State Colin Powell and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, both high-level African-American members of the Bush administration.
...
Noriega also pointed to Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, a Republican member of the delegation who was born in Cuba, and asked whether he appeared to be a white man. Diaz-Balart's brother, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, is also a congressional member from the state.

Brown's response, according to witnesses, was: "You all look alike to me."


One more thing... this sort of gets me...

Participants in the meeting said Noriega later told Brown: "As a Mexican-American, I deeply resent being called a racist and branded a white man."


Does that mean that Mexican-Americans can't be racist? Does that mean all white men are racists? And I'm not sure being being called white is the same as being branded. Maybe its just me, but the term branded brings up all sorts of negative connotations that I don't think are appropriate here.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Guarantee This Won't Change... I'm Sorry... I cons...
O'Reilly Launches WindowsDevCenter.com
I'm Voting for Bush Because Kerry Says He'll Creat...
I Don't Dream of Jeannie... or Why I Hate Wizards
When John Kerry's Courage Went M.I.A.
Security Patches Released For Trillian
FBI Shuts Down Web Host
Democrats Crushing Dissent?
And the Bush/Gore Elections were Undemocratic?
Don't Miss a Sec

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar