The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Grand Theft Stupidity 

If you read my blog regularly, you probably know that I have an issue with laws that are only around to stop stupid people from being stupid. Nanny laws get more and more on my nerves as I read about more and more of them. No matter how hard you try, you just can't legislate intelligence, just like you can't legislate morality. More importantly, we shouldn't try. I feel people ought to face the real consequences of their stupidity. Don't wear a seat belt? Then as awful as it sounds, you get what you deserve if you're seriously hurt in a car accident.

The Agitator makes a regular topic of it... called There Oughta Be a Law. Today's post describes, among other things a proposed ordinance in Lawrence Indiana:

Police officers and the police union made plans this week to write an ordinance making it illegal for residents to leave their cars unlocked, running and unattended.

Police Officer Tom Ashcraft, president of the Lawrence Fraternal Order of Police, spoke at Monday' City Council meeting to formally ask council members to adopt such an ordinance.

One might ask... who is so incredibly stupid as to leave the keys in the car, with the doors unlocked, and the car running unattended? I'll tell you who. The woman I see every morning at Starbucks is that stupid. She leaves her black Honda unlocked, and running at the Starbucks located in Wauwatosa (see the map here for directions). She's usually there between 7:30 and 7:45 every morning. This Starbucks is also about a block away from a large high school, and a lot of high school kids come into this Starbucks before their first class. Of course I'm not suggesting that high school kids are more predisposed to stealing a car... or that her car deserves to be stollen. I'm just saying it's there.

Comments:

3 things make this happen less than it used to: remote starters, keyless entry & garages. I'd still bet that on a below 0 morning, it won't be that hard to find an unlocked/unoccupied/running car.

  Posted at March 09, 2005 11:38 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Fun with Spell Check
How Is He Going to Type Now?
Programmer or Serial Killer?
You Know You're a Geek When...
The Wisconsin iPod Tax
That's Not Principled
Nobody is That Honest
Go West Young Man
Did You Know?
Just One More Cow Story

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar