The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, March 19, 2004

Congress to Test Air Screening Program 

Congress to Test Air Screening Program... I wonder if it will clasify my mom as yellow.

The Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday it will order airlines to turn over passengers' personal records in the next couple of months to test a computerized passenger screening program that could keep dangerous people off airlines.
...
The Computer-Assisted Passenger Prescreening System, or CAPPS II, would rank all air passengers according to the likelihood of their being terrorists. But some say the project would violate privacy rights, while others are concerned it would cost the private sector too much money.
...
Suspected terrorists and violent criminals would be designated as red and forbidden to fly. Passengers who raise questions would be classified as yellow and would receive extra security screening. The vast majority would be designated green and allowed through routine screening.

I find this very interesting since I recently took my mother to the airport for a trip to California. While checking in, the majority of passengers had their bags put on the conveyor belt and they went about their way. But when my mom's bag was put on, the belt suddenly stopped and the lady behind the counter started typing away on her console. Then she said, "You're all ready to go, just take your bag over there"... and she directed us to the special detection equipment they've setup for suspicious bags. My 65 year old mother had apparently been mistaken for a terrorist. With security precautions like those, I'm sure we're all in great hands.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Anti-Piracy Vigilantes Strike
It Was All About the Oil... for the French
The Programmer's Secret Handshake
If Kerry was Misquoted... Why Didn't He Just Say So?
Blogosphere 1, New York Times 0
The Dangers of DHMO... Makes City Officials Look L...
You Are Here
More Data Structure Goodness
Debugging the Debugger
LiteScribe

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar